Ridgepoint Elementary School (Rio Linda Union School District)
On September 21, 1998, the 1998-1999 Sacramento County Grand Jury toured the Ridgepoint Elementary School, located at 4680 Monument Drive in North Highlands.
Formed in 1913, the Rio Linda Union School District (RLUSD) consists of 21 elementary schools, kindergarten through 6th grade, serving approximately 10,000 students. Two of the District's campuses host charter schools serving only grades seven and eight and averaging 240 students each. The RLUSD's students continue their education in the Grant Joint Union High School District's middle and high schools.
RLUSD schools operate on two schedules: one traditional, the other modified. The modified schedule begins one month before the traditional and provides an earlier start and a fall recess, which the traditional schedule does not. The Grand Jury was told that the schedules seem well received, with staff and parents readily accepting both. (There are no year-round schools.) The District has passed all California Department of Education compliance and conformance reviews and has received maximum accreditation for each.
Ridgepoint Elementary is one of the newer physical plants in the District. The school's construction was an unusual joint effort by a real estate developer, the North Highlands Park District, and RLUSD. The school and its grounds serve the community as a multi-use facility. The school's physical plant is comprised of permanent construction augmented by modular classroom buildings, which meet a fluctuating student population and its demands.
The Grand Jury observed that:
· District officials and the school's staff, students and parents were open and enthusiastic in their welcome and presentations
· The Ridgepoint physical plant is clean and well maintained
· Physical safety of the students and staff is emphasized
· There is constant watchfulness by staff and older students over the younger students
· Clear rules are set forth and enforced
· The Ridgepoint computer lab is modern and accessible
· Regularly-scheduled computer instruction classes are included in Ridgepoint's curriculum
The dedicated staff, good physical plant, educational programs and parental involvement at Ridgepoint comprise a high benchmark in local education.
No Response is Required.